Thursday, March 12, 2009

My laptop and Cellphones

My laptop is a mixed bag of good and bad. I have wanted one for a long time and now that I have one, I cant believe that I didn't own one before. Its like a cell phone in that way. In high school, I didn't have a cell phone because I didn't even think of it. But when I was 19 years old I got a cell phone for the first time and now have had one for the past 6 years. I wonder if i'll ever not have one...probably not. So whats the age when cell phones are appropriate? We have all heard of kids who are no older than 14 that have cell phones. I dont know what to make of this because on one hand, if my kid took the bus or walked to school then I might want them to have a cell phone in case of an emergency. But on the other hand, I dont want them to have it because for one, they cost money and I couldn't trust my kid to not text message. There is no doubt that the text message and day time talk bill would be through the roof. Second, they would be texting and talking during school hours and this would surely make their grades go down.



This brings me back to my laptop. Last year, without one, I felt in control of my studies, I was more on top of school than I had been in my whole life. But this year, I have a laptop everyday at school and it seems like I am falling behind in school. Every spare moment that I have I am on the computer, checking out http://www.espn.com/ or on facebook. It definitely is a time killer. However, it is also good to have a laptop because if I need to write a paper or check my email, then I have that luxury at my disposal. So I ask the question...is a laptop really worth it to have my GPA drop by .3 points? I would have to say yes.

2 comments:

julied said...

uggg....i knew it would come to this. i should have never trusted you. remember when we discussed you getting a labtop and then you promised me if you got one you would only use it in class for notes and on breaks for assignments and that's why youw anted it. now i know it was a lie and you conned me into letting you get one.

Anonymous said...

Cameron has a cell phone... well, it was Ethans so now Cam has it... well, it was mine then I got a Blackberry so Ethan got it then Cam got it. (Ethan dropped it in the hot tub but we got a new one from Lin) Anyway so Cam is 14 (for a little while longer) and has a cell phone so Spencer should definetly have a laptop. Besides Jasmine has a laptop and I never see my laptop because Cam usually has it. Thats my 2 cents.